Interstate registration of bikes and scooters - Guidelines

Registering vehicles in different states can pose quite a few problems and the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways has stipulated a few rules and regulations to aid the citizens while relocating their vehicles or registering vehicles in a different state.

One can deal with the interstate registration problems with ample knowledge of certain rules. But before that one needs to know the kind of problems they will face while registering their vehicles in another state. And below are some of the problems that citizens often face while driving/riding in different state or states:

- The first problem a driver might face while driving in a new state is from the traffic police, who will grill you with all sorts of questions and one might wonder if it is out of suspicion or their intent to make quick bucks by instilling some fear. And sadly, many riders just cough up the hefty demands made by the cops.

- The local police of a particular state may demand for a local number plate, which is another problem with interstate registration.

- The other major problem with the local police is, you cannot talk rules, regulations or about law to them, as many from their fraternity are of the opinion that no one can teach about law to them and as a result your vehicle might get confiscated by them.

- God forbid but in case you meet with an accident in a different state while driving, the local police will be least supportive of your plight and you might end up telling stories.

- Road tax is another problem and not all states levy road tax but if you are in any state where paying road tax is mandatory then you will have to oblige with a payment.

- Resale of vehicle in a different state is again a problem, as there could be further complications with regards to the process of transference.

These are a few problems one might face with interstate registration vehicles. But you can combat them with ease and efficiency if you follow some tips:

1. The first thing you need is to have authentic documents of the vehicle to avoid any kind of legal hassles in that particular state such as, license, insurance documents, photo ID, address proof, form 20, which is given by the bank in case if you have bought the vehicle on loan.

2. If you intend to pay road tax then you need to have an NOC (no objection certificate), RC book, copy of vehicle insurance, form 20 and 22, address and ID proof and also a copy of the vehicle's pollution test.

3. In case you want to pay road tax you can either do it yourself or approach a broker and also take the help of friend who knows the local language, as the RTO documents will be printed in local language.

As regards the broker Automobile Association of South India has made good reviews for itself and can be given a try. All one has to do is become a member of the association and have the papers transferred using their services. Stay warned that the service takes time though.

Other than few of these tips one has to be confident and fearless especially if all the vehicle documents you possess are valid and authentic. With some smart talk and presence of mind you can certainly deal with local cops and come out of the awkward situation clean without any complication. And also get it clear in the mind that most cops try to scare you and are on the prowl to fill their pockets and not necessarily that you at fault or doing something illegal.

Read: Bike Selling Procedure

Written by .
Last updated on 04-02-2014. Published on 18-07-2011.
Published by Bikes4Sale in category Tips
Latest Comments. Share Your Opinion
platina Mh 31bz6905 contact me 8788195591 muze Lena h
By Ram Bhiwapurkar on 03-04-2022
Bike registration kar hai 2014 model hai
By Umakant Singh on 02-12-2021
Hello sir, I have a bike Honda CB Twister registration is from Bhuj, Gujarat. Is it possible to sell it in Pulwama, Jammu and Kashmir as I have relocated. Please give me suggestions
By Rakesh on 24-04-2021
Sir I buy 1976 modal yezdi bike what is the process of registration
By Arvind Kumar Verma on 24-12-2020
Hello sir, I have a bike Yamaha r3 registration is from Tamil Nadu. Is it possible to sell it in Mumbai as I have relocated. Please give me suggestions.
By Akhtara Begum on 11-12-2020
I was purchased activa 110 cc on 9/2018 in jabalpur(MP),but now I am in Azamgarh (UP).I has been processed & gotted my NOC from jabalpur to azamgarh.plz tell me state transfer process &what amount I have to pay at azamgarh RTO.
By Deena Nath Rai on 07-04-2020
By Satar Babu Mangriya on 10-07-2019
Well written. Thanks for this.
By Abhi on 04-06-2019
sir, i have purchased a honda scooty in Meerut 3 days ago , it has ty registration from Meerut. Can i take permanent registration from my home state Himachal Pradesh. Please tell me procedure .My contact No 9625512259
By Vishal Kaushal on 13-04-2019
I'm purchasing new bullet bike from Haryana and I'm from mumbai and I'm want restration in mumbai and plz tell me procedure what i can do sir ?
By Deepak Jaat on 04-11-2018
Can i purchease the bullet in jammu but am residencly from Utterpradesh but while am working in jammu last 3 year nd i having the jk bank account also..can i take vehicle jammu number .?
By Ritesh Mishra on 18-10-2018
I have a question ,, I broughta ktm Duke 390 2015/slipper clutch 2nd hand from Pune and I want to transfer the bike to Goa as I live here ,so what is the cost of transferring from MH to GA reg
As my broker is saying it would cost 50000/ for the interstate transfer,please help
By Aditya Habbu on 05-09-2018
I want to purchase bullet from chandigarh and want to get it registered from bhiwani(haryana) without taking vehicle to haryana.

Is it possible?
By Chirag Arora on 12-08-2018
I am from west bengal and doing job in Gujarat so how could i purchase a bike here and riding too.
By Ranik Saha on 10-12-2016
Sir please help me i have buy a bike 2nd hand in delhi now i came to bihar police ask me for paper i have only NOC i have not transfer the paper in my name so tell me that how and where i can or i have to transfer my bike paper
By Sumit Kumar on 03-10-2016
I have sold my bike ( Delhi registered) last month. Buyer want to transfer the bike no. in ( Utter pradesh). I have cleared all dues to bank but did not remove HP from registration certificate.
Please suggest what is the producure to transfered the bike from delhi seller to utter pradesh buyer
By Kamal on 08-03-2016
i have a bike bajaj ct100. this was purchased in year 2005 at jaipur. from last 1 year i have shifted to pune. theres a lot of problems with local cops regarding my numberplate and road tax.
i am left with 2 option
-- sell that vehicle(again it is not possible in pune as even the showroom vendors want a transferred bike) in jaipur which is quite costly as transportation of bike usually takes more time. Also it will be costly for these movement.

-- get my bike transfereed.

my questions are --
1) can i sell my bike in pune as it is today? if yes kindly let me know some of the vendors

2) can i apply for registration transfer from jaipur to pune without travelling (alongwith the bike) to jaipur

i would be very greatful if you help me. my e-mail is
By Prashant on 07-12-2015
Sir how a bike can be transferred from one name to another name in the city delhi when the bike is already registered in Bangalore city
By Mukesh Kumar on 05-12-2015
Sir Iam from telangana state I want to buy a new baleno car from jarkhand state but I want to register in telangana state because jarkhand state giving road tax low than telangana state so I want to buy a car in jarkhand state is it possible
By Md Rafi on 14-11-2015
Hi recntly I bought a new hinda aviator in kolkata on 16/10/15 can yu tell me in how many I can get a registered scooter number
Thnak yu
By Ashish on 01-11-2015
I want to use my Byke from Gujarat to Mumbai , what will be process or what rules I need to follow at Mumbai.. Plz guide me.
By Pramod Tamboli on 13-10-2015
I m a resident of punjab. I purchased a bike from ambala. I want RC of punjab. Should i have to pay any extra money than normal registration ??
By Shivam on 14-09-2015
I have purchased a two wheeler from west bengal and want to get registration from bihar then what i have to do. Whether i have to deposit VAT in Bihar again. If yes, than how much is it?
By Ashish Kr Jha on 04-09-2015
I want buy bullet in Pondicherry ,but I want to register in Tamil nadu it is possible are not.
By Manoj on 25-07-2015
sir i want to buy new activa dlx from any showroom of gurgaon & want to complete rto registration from akola maharashtra.what is the process?
By Dinesh on 21-06-2015
Can We use Orissa Registered Two Wheeler in Tamilnadu...?
By Uday on 19-06-2015
sir, I have bought bajaj discover dtsi 125cc of arunachal registration. I belongs to jharkhand. I have taken noc from the seller I. my name. but till now I have not transfer The same in my name. now I want to sell The same to another person due to some financial problem. is it required to bring another noc for that person? is there any document required for the same? please suggest me. its very urgent
By Anil Keshri on 20-04-2015
i have a yamaha fz bike in gujarat now i transferred to chhattisgadh raipur how i transfered bike from RTO
By Vinit Kumar on 16-04-2015
i am buying a new bullet m.cycle from chandigarh.i shall be paying all taxes and insurance in i stay in kota rajasthan,besides registration fees do we have to pay sales tax again of rajasthan as the dealer would be invoicing on my kota address or only registration charges have to be paid
By B.s.anand on 02-04-2015
is noc without name can issued if so then when the name is written on noc kindly reply and what to do to correct noc
By Gambhir Sen on 14-03-2015

I'm Sanjay, Bangalore resident, purchased a brand new bajaj pulsar of 2015model registered in Bangalore itself, my problem is: Wanted to know the legal procedures to take transfer of my bike to meghalaya as im migrating there after a couple of months!!!
Please let me know at the earliest.

Thank You.
By Sanjay G on 24-02-2015

I am staying in Telangana and I want to buy a bike with Kartnatak registration. So what are the documents needed from the owner. how much money have to spend to register on my name.
what is the process to reduce the cost of registration on my name.

Please respond me as soon as possible.

By Ayyappaswamy on 06-01-2015
I am purchasing a 1984 model bullet from Jaipur. I want to get it registered in Delhi as I live in Delhi. What all documents are required to get it registered in Delhi???
Contact Number - 9650052025
By Rahul on 27-11-2014
I am purchasing a 1984 model bullet from Jaipur. I want to get it registered in Delhi as I live in Delhi. What all documents are required to get it registered in Delhi???
By Rahul on 27-11-2014
I want to buy a two wheeler but i fail to understand that, how track the correct information of past record of vehicle and no raise any problem in future. So, please suggest.
By Manoj S on 16-12-2014
mob no-- 09330866336
By Sunil Chitlangia on 02-11-2014
sir, honda ka scooter karnatka se mere bete ne bhega he beta us shift ho gaya me west bengal kolkata me hu mujhe koi jankari nahi he kya rule he aur kya karna he pls help me
By Sunil Chitlangia on 02-11-2014
Actually few months before I purchased a bullet bike from Chandigarh nd showroom manager says me to deposit money for registration nd also ask me a local frnd address who have own house in chd so I gave ol the information . Now he can't got tha. Registration number from chandihgarg nd m from Jammu and Kashmir so is ny other portion dat I could register my bike in my state Jammu and Kashmir plzz sir suggest why I do m just in big problem Thnkuee
By Ankush Kumar on 30-10-2014
By Ashutosh Priya on 11-10-2014
I purchased a hero Honda bike of U.P. and I want to take its Noc. To use in Muzaffarpur Bihar
By Ashutosh Priya on 11-10-2014
Sir i have purchased a TVS JUPITER from Narela, Delhi, and financed from sonepat bank, what is the procedure of registration in haryana & can i want noc from delhi authority or not.
mob. 09541562203
By Nishant Gupta on 29-09-2014
Sir i purchased. a bike in another. State without registering. In that state. I want to register in pune. What is procedure for this.
By Ashish on 13-07-2014
i have a bike registered with Delhi number, recently i have shifted to Pune (Maharashtra) and wants my bike here. what is procedure to ride the bike i pune hastle free.
By Shalabh Deepankar on 05-06-2014
Hi, I have a bike (Pulsar black 150 CC) which was registered in Tamilnadu. I am having all the documents including emission control... Now my husband is using it in Bangalore and often the cops are collecting Rs.200/-, Rs.300/- like that and they informed us to take road tax in Karnataka... what is the procedure and how much we have to pay, since it is two years old...
By Radha Ravichandran on 04-06-2014
Sir, I bought pulsar 220. In Diu daman and I want to use it in Mumbai without any transfer and registration process. So is there any rule which I should follow...please help me
By Himanshu on 17-05-2014
I am working in Thrissur (kerala). Last week i purchased a second hand bike which has thrissur registration. but my id & address proof are all belongs to Tamilnadu. how can change the ownership of the bike to mine? do i need any local address? currently i don't have any kind of local address in thrissur? i want to retain the registration number? please help...thanks.
By Nanda on 28-04-2014
i have my father in law,s bajaj xcd bike of 2008. registered in daman DN. i have noc inmy name from Daman RTO. now i want use it in mumbai. without transfering name . some told me to just pay mumbai road tax &some told me to approch Andhiry rto and take permision me what to do . what whould be mumbai road tax. thank you
By Rajesh Soni on 13-03-2014
dear sir, i ve purchased a used bike with registration no. of west bengal. And now i want to bring it in sikkim and trnsfer it to my name......what is the process beside the NOC
By Tashi on 30-01-2014
Dear sir,
I am going to buy a used royal enfield bullet from other state .and I w ant to get it transferred to Gujarat, (valsad).first of all the bikes are old 15 to 25 years .So sir guide me for the exact legal formalities , and the necessary documents which I should ask from the owner
By Sojesh on 26-03-2013
i have hero honda sp bike in bangalore which is registered in kanpur up.. i have taken noc in oct 2011 but not paid any tax in bangalore. now i m shifting to gandhinagar gujrat. what can be process for that.
By Jitendra on 20-01-2013
Sir,I want to transfer the ownership of two wheeler which is register in mumbai,and I stay now in pune so,what is process of transfer of ownership in this of case?please give guideline for ownership.
By Aditya Shikhare on 27-12-2012
I want to bring my bike registered at Pondicherry to Pune. I would be using it for a year in Pune so I would prefer going for all legal documents. What all documents do I need and kindly let me know the procedure for the same.
Thanks in advance
By Tilak on 25-10-2012
mr. Ramakrishna

you have to go and take atleast 3rd party insurance then only you can register to your name.
without insurance rt office will not accept ur application.
By Jeevan on 19-11-2012
mr. Ramakrishna

you have to go and take atleast 3rd party insurance then only you can register to your name.
By Jeevan on 19-11-2012
I am citizen of Delhi ..
I have a scoty of hero
I have bought it on loan
Now I am shifting to Jammu ...
What are the formalities that the Jammu police don't make any problem
By Shivam on 08-05-2016

Kindly help me i have purchased TVS sport bike which has not received insurance and i have received balance all docs like 29 30 NOC without insurance certificate can we register this?

the bike is mafac 2011 and owner registered date is28/09/2011
kindly help me sir is insurance certificate need for registered to my name?
By Ramakrishna on 20-06-2012
I want to buy a bike which is already registered in Andheri RTO to kalyan RTO what will be the legal process for the same.Should I need to pay octroi for that ?How many days it will take to transfer in my name.What could be the expenses ?
By Aswini Kumar Sahu on 24-04-2012
Please help me with selling formalities of my Hero Honda bike. I want to transfer my bike to buyer so that will be free from all future responsiblities.

Cell +91 9650003279
By Amit Gupta on 03-03-2012
Very very usefull tips given by AASI. thank you/
By Sathish on 01-02-2012
I need finance to have my dream byk .plz help me out in this regard .? Plz do contact me dis is ma no 9849825191 , i dont have any property papers! But beleive me iam very much genuine and trustworthy !
By Neil on 21-11-2011
suzuki heat 125ccRs23000
By A R Khan on 21-07-2011
For the transfer of my bike from assam to bihar, i obtained noc and submitted to DTO Gaya in jan'2013. From the office of DTO Gaya, two times noc verification letter has been sent to DTO Bongaigaon. But in absence of any reply from DTO Bongaigaon, no further process have took place. Kindly help me by providing official e-mail of DTO Bongaigaon, so that i could write to them for it's early verification. Without any communication DTO Gaya is refusing to accept noc and allow to submit road tax.
By Vivek on 04-08-2018
Sir , I buy a ct100 bike from Himachal Pradesh and want to registered it in Punjab. Pls tell me what is processor.My no. is 7986589190
By Shubham on 11-07-2018

I want to sell my Bike in Noida to a buyer but the bike holds Jammu Registration . Please let me know the transfer procedure for the same
By Rohit on 24-04-2018
All those who want to register their vehicles permanently to another state should take NOC from local RTO office which you can submit in your home town or wherever you want to permanently register you vehicle along with the original documents.. Its better you visit your town's RTO once you get NOC..
By Bilal on 12-03-2018
I have purchased bike in Odisha can I register in Delhi
Can u please say about this
By Ajay on 03-03-2018
I recently moved from Hyderabad to Bangalore. while moving, I obtained the NOC from Hyderabad. Now, i wish to sell my bike in Bangalore. Please let me know the process for the same. Do I have to get it re-registered in Bangalore and then initiate transfer of ownership or can i directly get it registered in the name of the buyer?
By Saurabh Agrawal on 10-01-2018
sir father is army on duty then bopal posted i am buy a bike csd canteen bhopal then bike buy a showroom and ragitation in rajasthan dausa then process beause my parmant addres is rajasthan dausa any how tax in govt. then conatct 7220919719
By Abhimayu on 22-12-2017
I have purchased a 2nd hand bike which has 2016 model apache chennai.and now I am moving to my home town.I want to Re registered in my name in west bengal state fixed.then what I have to Do.can you tell me procedure? My number is 8754822591.
By Ashish Ekka on 10-12-2017
Cgst, igst, sgst one nation 3 taxs not one nation one taxs
By Lingling on 12-11-2017
I have brought an py regstation ns 200 iam currently using it in kerala how can I get noc
By Anandu on 11-11-2017
Sir, i have purchased 1992 model bullet from punjab, but still didnt get noc. How can i apply noc and register in kerala
By Dhanraj on 04-11-2017
sir, i have purchased a honda scooty in karnataka 15 days ago , it has ty registration from Karnataka. Can i take permanent registration from my home state Bihar. Please tell me procedure .My no is 9496664917
By Abhishek Singh on 01-11-2017
Add Your Comment
Name :

Comment :