The Chennai based two-wheeler maker TVS is well known for their good quality motorcycles. One could never forget the famous commuter Victor. It stood as the finest example for their built quality and engine refinement. Not only that, the all time famous scooter Scooty also comes from the same plant. For more than a decade this single brand (TVS Scooty) stood as a symbol for automatic scooter in the country. Just like that, Jupiter is one solid scooter from this Indian brand, targeting all other unisex scooters of the market.
The Design and Features
From the first glance, it looks like a Honda Activa. On a closer look, the difference between the two starts to unveil. TVS has employed some minor characters of Wego in this scooter. Unlike Wego, the headlamp unit seems more muscular and wide. In Activa the turn indicators are located alongside the headlamp within the handlebar unit, but in the Jupiter it is mounted on the body panel, below the headlamp case.
Two pilot lamps are also placed in the headlamp unit. Moving on to the back, it gets advanced LED backlights with optical guides helping us highly observable in low lights. It is smaller, shinier and edgy in appearance.
The latest MillionR edition of the Jupiter have some advanced features like stainless steel muffle guard, premium beige coloured interior panels, large Jupiter 3D emblem on the side panels and front sleek mudguard with all black themed wheels adds the sportiness of the scooter. Moreover, the grab rails of Jupiter and Activa look alike. TVS Jupiter uses brand new instrument console in black coloured theme.
It displays turn indicators, fuel reserve light, fuel gauge, speedometer and odometer. The switchgear quality is good and it is same as that of Wego. TVS has added ECO and POWER mode switches on the cluster, enabling the rider to switch between the two modes. In addition to that, Jupiter houses many utility features such as, underseat USB charging port, a pair of retractable bag hooks, TVS patented E-Z centre stand, external fuel filling cap and dual side handle lock.
The Engine and Performance
The TVS Jupiter is powered by 109cc, single cylinder, 4-stroke engine uses CVT-i technology which intensifies the performance and fuel economy of the scooter. Engine is mated with primary CVT transmission box for optimum power transfer. The mill delivers a maximum power of 5.88 Kw @ 7500 rpm and a peak torque of 8 Nm @ 5500 rpm. Jupiter can go from 0 to 60 kph in 11.2 seconds and at the same time it is one of the fuel efficient scooter in the class with a mileage of 62kmpl. ECO mode is suitable for riding around 50kmph range and for the maximum burst of power, one has to switch to POWER mode.
Chassis, Suspension and Braking
The Jupiter is constructed around the high rigidity underbone type frame, which is found in other TVS scooters as well. It features 12-inch wheels with telescopic front suspension and gas charged mono shock suspension at the rear. This makes the ride quality of Jupiter better than the Wego. Dynamics of the Jupiter is well balanced and nimble around the corner. Stopping power of the scooter is held with 130mm drum brakes at both the ends. Moreover, it features SYNC brake system which assures more safety and effortless braking on high speeds.
Jupiter looks like a real competitor for the much mature Honda Activa. It houses to some of the advanced features found in all premium scooters. Like the Activa, it also come in full metal body. The stiff chassis of the scooter provides much reliability and strength. Altogether, it is said to be the best scooter ever offered by this Chennai based two-wheeler manufacturer, but it lacks the engine refinement and smooth riding capability of Honda Activa.
Test drive reports, reviews and news
- BS-IV Jupiter Is Launched In India
- TVS Motorcycles has launched the BS-IV version of their best selling scooter Jupiter. The updated scooter now gets a BS-IV compliant engine along with...
- TVS Jupiter Special Edition Now Available
- India's most awarded scooter of the year TVS Jupiter sets a new stage for its flagship by bringing out a special edition scooter this year. The TVS Ju...
- TVS Jupiter TVC
- More mileage, more comfort, more space, more features, more stylish, and even more mores. That's the all new TVS Jupiter. Crafted in the same platform...
- Confirmed: TVS Scooty Zest Launching on January 1, 2014
- Unveiling the Jupiter scooter, TVS Motor Company Chairman and Managing Director, Mr. Venu Srinivasan, said that the company would launch a bike in eve...
- TVS Jupiter: First Look and Short Review
- At last a masculine-characterful scooter from the Chennai based two-wheeler manufacturer. Of course, the Jupiter serves better and a different atmosph...