Want ownership of my friends Bike.

Some days earlier my friend left India and he sells his bike to me. The bike registration is from Pune and I want to transfer to Navi-Mumbai (Kalamboli). I have got documents: RC, PUC, Insurance certificate, signed copies of FORM 29 & 30. My question is how & from where to start the transfer process. Is there any body who worked on this type of process.

Asked by Dr. Mridul Medhi on 01-03-2012

Latest Answers

Buyer should have these documents

Form 28 [ 3 copies, Non Mandatory] -No Objection Certificate
Form 29 [ 2 copies] -Notice of Transfer of Ownership
Form 30 [ 1 copy] -Report of Transfer of Ownership

Transfer Deed Form
Take the printout of these forms and get it duly filled and signed. And submit it in the RTO for a change of ownership of the bike. Form 28 and Transfer Deed is not mandatory for sale/purchase but Form 29 and Form 30 are mandatory.

Transfer Deed
Transfer Deed is the certificate the seller should possess to have no legal liabilities on the bike in future. 2 original copies (not photostats) of Transfer Deed should be taken. Engine Number, Chassis Number and Registration Number should be written in that. Revenue Stamps should be pasted on them and signed by the buyer. Both buyer and seller should posses the forms.

Other Documents
Given below are other documents the buyer should get from the seller while purchasing a bike.

RC Book [Registration Certificate Book]
Ensure that the RC Book is in order and the engine and chassis number printed in the book match with those in the bike. Also the name of the owner should be correct, once the sale is through the RTO office will change the name of the owner to the new buyer's name.

Insurance Certificate
The bike should have a valid insurance certificate covering the period of sale. Once the ownership of the bike is changed to owner's name ,ensure to change the name of owner in the insurance certificate also. This can be done by giving a written request in the insurance company. If the insurance is lapsed the new owner will be liable to pay the fine for the time without the insurance, so ensure that the vehicle has insurance.

Tax Receipt
The bike should have a valid tax paid receipt. These days most vehicles have life time tax paid, this is usually for a duration of fifteen years [varies from state to state]

Pollution Certificate
Even though this certificate is mandatory for vehicles which is more than six months old, unlike insurance certificate buyer need not pay the fine for the period bike didn't have the certificate. So in case the seller doesn't have one, buyer can go get a new one, once he/she has the possession of the bike.

Its better to approach an RTO agent, so that you don’t need to go running all these places on your own.
Answered by Hari on 01-03-2012
The first thing you need is to have authentic documents of the vehicle to avoid any kind of legal hassles in that particular state such as, license, road tax, insurance documents, photo ID, address proof.

You need to have an NOC (no objection certificate), RC book, copy of vehicle insurance, form 20 and 22, address and ID proof and also a copy of the vehicle’s pollution test, bill of the Vehicle (should show cost and VAT paid), fill up the transfer and re-registration forms.

In case you want to pay road tax you can either do it yourself or approach a broker and also take the help of friend who knows the local language, as the RTO documents will be printed in local language.

A road tax of 7.5% tax is to be paid irrespective of whether the vehicle is new or old (however, based on the vehicle's age the owner gets a discount)

As per rules you can drive a vehicle in another state for a period of 6 months without paying a road tax.

If you are going to live for more than 6 months but less than a year then you need to pay the road tax, but you do not need to register.

However, if you intend to stay in the new state for more than a year, then payment of tax and registration in the new state is indispensable.

As far as possible avoid transferring your vehicle from one state to another. If you can sell off in the home state – great, otherwise it is a real pain running behind people to get things done.

If you do intend to take your vehicle along with you, then approach an RTO agent, so that you don’t need to go running all these places on your own.

Of course, you have to be physically present at RTO to do the registrations, but the agent helps you by running around and giving you the right information about what papers to bring, including putting the right papers
Answered by Hari on 01-03-2012

Post an Answer

Name :
Answer :
5042 Enter numbers:

Need help or advice? Ask your question and get help from experts