Recently i had done some modifications on my 5 year old Royal Enfield Bullet Machismo A350. Thought of sharing my experiences with the readers. This information might be useful for folks who are planning to modify their Royal Enfield Bullets.
1. Change the rear tyre to wider, 15 inch tyre.
2. Custom seat.
3. Custom mudguard.
4. Wider handle bar.
5. Removed the rear view mirrors.
6. Removed the rear indicators.
7. Change the silencer.
Went to a mechanic (Salim) near Airport Road, Bangalore. He took almost 30 days to complete the task. And here is the bill.
1. TVS Rambo 140/90 15 inch Tyre and Rim – 5000 Rs.
2. Custom wider Mudguard and Chrome plated seat stay – 4500 Rs
3. Chrome plated custom Swing Arm – 3000 Rs
4. Tail Lamp set – 300 Rs.
5. Custom seat plate and cushion – 1450 Rs
6. Wider Handle Bar – 450 Rs
7. Front Brake Cable – 60 Rs
8. Dupont black painting for Mudguard – 400 Rs
9. Custom made Goldie (Goldstar) silencer – 2650 Rs
10. Labour charge – 2500
Total Amount = 20310- 575(discount) = 19735
19735- 1000(for old parts of my bullet) = 18735 Indian Rupees
Some of my friends say that the cost is too much. Anyways, i didn’t have the time to do extensive research and buy the parts myself. So i had no other choice than trust the mechanic. What do you think about the bill?
Problems due to the modifications
If you want to have killer looks, be ready to sacrifice a lot. These are some of the problems which i am facing now after the modifications.
1. The power and acceleration got reduced.
2. Mileage must have decreased.
3. The tyre touches the mudguard when riding over road bumps. And some irritating sound is coming. So i had to harden the rear shock absorbers and increase the height of the bike.
4. Difficult to ride through traffic because of wider handle bars.
5. Had to remove the chain cover for fitting wider tyres and swing arm. And some noise is coming from the chain.
6. Had to remove the decompression cable because of wider handle bar.
SS Bullet Clinic
#4, 16th Main, HAL 2nd Stage
Bangalore – 560038
Location landmark: Near Domlur. Opposite to United Colors of Benetton showroom in 100ft Road, Indiranagar
Wider handle bar is fun. Stability has increased because of the new wider tyre. I don’t care about the extra problems introduced because of the alterations. Now the feeling of riding the Bullet has increased a lot. The beat has improved because of the Goldie Silencer. It is obvious from the glaring eyes of onlookers that the risk was worth it…. Now I am getting lots of test drive requests from people who are impressed by the new look. 🙂
Later I did the following minor works also
1. Fitted small front indicators.
2. Fitted chrome plated handle weights
3. Fitted a decompressor cable
My advice for those who have half mind in modifying their Bullets is, “Go ahead and do it”. You will love it.
Arun Thomas KB
Founder and CEO, Bikes4Sale.in