The procedures for buying and selling used vehicles in Kerala have been revised by the Kerala Motor Vehicles Department at the start of the year 2015. Previously, like all other Indian states, the transfer of ownership of vehicles was done via the buyer's RT office, which had been a burden for the seller due to improper registrations.
The revision that has been made in the procedures is that the transfer of ownership of vehicles in Kerala would be done via the seller's RT office, making it an added advantage for the seller. He/she would now no longer need to suffer the consequences of improper handling of the vehicle and breaching of traffic laws on the part of the buyer, in case the buyer has not transferred the vehicle to his name.
The revised procedure is as follows:
1. The seller has to submit an online application along with the specified fee, at the RT office where the vehicle has been currently registered.
2. The following documents must be directly handed over to the RT office:
- RC Book
- Print out of the online application form
- Print out of the receipt certifying the fees paid
- Self attested copy of Insurance Certificate
- Self attested copy of Pollution Certificate [Pollution Under Control Certificate]
- Buyer's Address and valid proof certifying the same [Voter's ID/Aadhaar Card/License/Passport] which has been duly signed by a gazetted officer.
- Passport sized photo signed by the seller.
3. Once the RT office has cancelled the present RC book, the clearance certificate and scanned copies of the related documents would be mailed to the buyer's RT office. Along with this, the photo and details of the buyer would be uploaded in the page containing the registration details of the vehicle.
4. After the email has been received at the buyer's RT office, the authorities would validate the transfer of ownership of the vehicle and the new RC book would be issued and sent to the buyer's address.
New process for name transfer of second hand vehicles
Rate this Tip :